Bulletin Board      Ship's Store

  Web Site Navigation

Home Boat Builders    Home     Builders Tips



Trinity Story


Trinity Photo Album      Trinity Page     Ship's Log      Trinity Charters

        The story starts in 1988.  So I will try to keep it brief  and answer the most common questions asked over the years.  In 1988, I had two daughters living at home.   The question crossed my mind as to what I'd do when they left home and I found myself alone.  Was I to sit around and wait for visits?   Didn't seem like much fun.  An adventure sounded more like what I was looking for... a sailing adventure.  However, to go in debt for hundreds of thousands of dollars was out of the question.  I would have to build my own sail boat.

        In the early days, I was very optimistic.  Thirty feet became 40' then 50'. Finally 60' seemed about right.

        The summer of 1989 went well.  I started April 1st, and by November a 61' steel hull sat in the back yard.  It was 80% complete.  Time to go back to work at a regular job.  I had taken time off to build the hull.  Working weekends and evenings, by summer's end, 1991, it was time to think about getting primer (paint) on the hull.  That winter was spent grinding all the welded seams smooth.

        Summer of 1992, I started with 10 tons of sand for sand blasting and 50 gallons of paint.   I was ready for the 3 months of 70 degree-plus weather it would take to cure the paint.  It actually took 4 months , 11 tons of sand and 58 gallons of primer before the outside of the hull was primed and dry.  By this time I realized working on weekends wasn't good enough.  It takes 3.5 years of weekends to equal one year's work.  Because of the climate, I could only paint 3 months of the year, and wasn't getting any younger.  Optimism was wearing a little thin.  By summer's end, 1994, I had used another 40 gallons of primer and 20 gallons of zinc base coat along with 7 tons of copper slag (sand) on the inside.  At this point the boat was primed both inside and out.

        In 1995 the logging here in Oregon had all but stopped, and unemployment had slowed the boat project to a crawl.  After several months of job hunting, I had little to show for my efforts.  I decided to put together a service truck, and open Ron's Equipment Service.  Although work has been somewhat sparse, the free time is welcome.  The boat building fund has suffered the adjustment over the past 3 years.  However, some progress is being made in the engine room.

        This summer ('98) I plan to begin work on the interior wood and installing the port lights (windows) .  Perhaps within the next year, I will be able to finish painting the outer hull and move  the boat to the ocean and a larger city, where work and income is a little more conducive to boat building.  


Time has past 2014


        The optimism of the late 1990, has some what waned. The advents of the past years are to say the least, unbelievable and not to be aired on a web page.  That said, some explanation is warranted, for my absents of the past 14 years. 

        A simple statement would be no good deed goes unpunished, of course  there moor to it then that.





? Check my Web Page Ship's Log for progress updates. ?

WB00858_.GIF (1513 bytes)

This page was last updated on 05/10/14